We believe in the Importance of Eco-Friendly Packaging
How important is recyclable packaging?Did you know, most food packaging is plastic or contains plastic, and only 17% of this plastic gets recycled, some end up in landfills where it stays for generations and the rest pollutes our environment and our seas.
What steps are we taking?We are a company that prides itself on ethically sourced raw dog food for working dogs, but we are also very passionate about the conservation of our planet. At ProDog we are taking action to reduce this. Our new raw dog food packaging will include high-quality new shatterproof/leak proof fully recyclable tubs (which are not classified as 'single-use' nor do they contain BPA), pre-labelled (to reduce waste) and in our distinctive bright company colours. We are also moving to the wool thermal lining in new printed stronger outer cardboard boxes that are easier to handle due to their shape. ProDog Raw has taken this stance in order to be more environmentally responsible and reduce packaging and waste where possible. Now every part of your ProDog delivery packaging will be recyclable/reusable and we are proud to report we will reduce our plastic and packaging by 30% overall.
What is our new packaging made of?
- The tub and lid are moulded from a single material, polypropylene (PP), which is fully approved for direct food contact.
- The “In Mould Label” (IML) lid label is also made from PP, meaning the entire pack is made from the same ‘mono’ material, This is unlike some other packaging with a self-adhesive label applied adding another material element and reducing its recyclability.
- PP is 100% recyclable.
- PP is officially “widely recycled” meaning that more than 75% of local authorities in the UK collect the material directly from households for recycling.
- Recycled PP is in demand for the manufacture of a very wide range of reusable items such as buckets, car interiors, carpets, furniture, watering cans, storage bins etc.
- The ProDog pack is moulded in a yellow PP making it easy for recycling companies to sort automatically, unlike black plastics which cannot be sorted automatically and hence generally end up in a landfill.
- The re-closable tamper evident pack design creates a very convenient reusable storage container while also removing the need for a film seal, which is not normally recyclable.
- Overall the PP tub, lid and label represent an environmentally sound form of packaging which is both reusable and fully recyclable.