Benefits of a Raw Food Diet for your Dog
What are the Benefits of a Raw Food Diet for Dogs?
Feeding a raw food diet for dogs is now much more popular than it was, however it can still be controversial. It is common that working dogs and racing greyhounds are fed on a raw diet, however, more and more people are now switching their dogs to a raw food diet. It has been suggested that adult dogs will thrive on an evolutionary diet based on what canines ate before they became domesticated: Raw, meaty bones and vegetable scraps. It has been suggested that grain-based commercial dog foods can be harmful to a dogs health. Natural dog food is, therefore, becoming more and more popular as dog owners want a better and more natural diet for their faithful companions.
What is Raw Feeding?
Known around the world as ‘BARF’ (Biologically appropriate raw feeding). Raw feeding (BARF) is your dog eating as close to what they would have done as wild animals which is much more natural for them and their digestive system. The stomach pH in dogs is much lower than in humans and as a result, they can break down raw meat and bone easily. Manufactured dog food is based on meat derivatives and they contain added sugars, preservatives as well as other ingredients that are not good for your dog and their long-term health. Take a look at the ingredients of some mainstream dog foods and I am sure you will be surprised, as well as ingredients you wouldn’t want to feed your dog the meat content is often very low. The BARF raw food diet for dogs uses human-grade meat and only vegetables, superfoods and oils are added for extra vitamins and nutrients.
What Should a Raw Food Diet Consist of for a Healthy Dog?
A raw food diet for dogs is exactly as it sounds. It is a natural dog food diet that is comprised of fresh, raw foods. While there are different ways to create a raw food diet for dogs, one of the most popular and beneficial options consists primarily of meat and raw bones, fortified with some fruits and vegetables or formulated supplements to ensure nutritional balance.
Dogs are primarily carnivorous animals, which means that their bodies extract nutrition from animal-based sources. This does mean that meat should be the primary focus of a dog’s diet. In addition to raw meat and organs, raw bones provide key minerals like calcium as well as other nutrients. Raw food diets for dogs can be either homemade or commercially prepared and brought which is the option that a lot of people take now as it takes away the need to buy and handle raw meat and bones as it comes readily packed per meal portion.
A raw food diet should include:
- Muscle meat, often still on the bone
- Bones, either whole or ground
- Organ meats such as livers and kidneys
- Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, carrots, celery
What are the Ingredients of ProDog Raw Dog Food?
Our premium raw dog food is 100% natural and all that your dog needs for optimum health. 100% complete and nothing artificial – 100% DEFRA approved. All of our ingredients are British! Our quest for perfection has resulted in what we believe to be the best choice for our dogs and of course yours – Raw Feeding as clean and close to nature as it gets. The perfect option to provide natural dog food for our dogs and yours.
- Raw Muscle Meat – A source of energy that helps maintain muscle mass without fat gain. It contains essential amino acids (great for healthy cells), is a good source of potassium (essential for heart health), iron, zinc and taurine.
- Bone – Raw bone is highly beneficial to a dog’s digestive system.. It is also useful for maintaining healthy, clean teeth and fresh breath. A fantastic source of protein, calcium, phosphorous and good fats.
- Heart (Offal) – Rich in collagen, elastin and Coenzyme Q10 it helps to maintain healthy joints and a dog’s healthy heart. Selenium, phosphorous, zinc and amino acids also build muscle, store energy and increase stamina.
- Liver (Offal) – An organ meat that contains vitamins A, B, E and K, fat, zinc, phosphorous, iron, copper, omegas 3 & 6, amino acids and iodine. Helps digestion, reproduction and nerve health. Prevents anaemia and assists in a healthy blood profile. Helps muscle function, brain function and preventing fatigue.
- Chicken – Chicken is one of the highest protein suppliers. Protein plays an important role in your dogs diet. It is made of amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscles. It contains vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, vitamin B-12, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D, and vitamin K.
- Turkey – Turkey meat is a source of iron, zinc, potassium and phosphorus. It is also a source of vitamin B6 and niacin, which are both essential for the body’s energy production. Regular turkey consumption can help lower cholesterol levels. The meat is low-GI and can help keep insulin levels stable
- Salmon – Salmon is an excellent source of vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium. It is a good source of niacin, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, phosphorus and vitamin B6. It is also a good source of choline, pantothenic acid, biotin and potassium.
- Tripe – Green Tripe is the nutrient-rich lining of the stomach of a ruminant animal such as a cow (beef tripe), deer (venison tripe), or lamb (lamb tripe). It is high in nutrients and essential fats. Touted for benefits like beneficial probiotics, a perfect 1:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus, which is vital for proper bone and joint development and sustainability.
- Broccoli – Broccoli can be given to dogs either in its raw state or cooked. As another excellent source of vitamins, it has been found to have properties that are highly beneficial to dogs. It is an excellent source of vitamins C & K, fibre, and folate. It is also low in calories.
- Seaweed – Seaweed is a source of protein, vitamins C, E and the full B complex and minerals such as copper and zinc. The benefits of seaweed include increased energy, enhanced immune system, darkened coat and skin pigment. It is also rich in iodine which supports the thyroid function.
- Carrots – Carrots are loaded with carotenoids, fibre, vitamins C, and K, as well as potassium. They are known to have magnesium, manganese, most of the B vitamins and phosphorous. Vitamin C boosts the immune system, vitamin B boosts energy absorption while vitamin K aids development and helps with blood clotting. Potassium contributes to a healthy nerve function and energy metabolism.
- Kale – Kale is a supercharged leafy superfood which contains an abundant amount of vitamins including A, C & E. Vitamin A is good for vision, growth, a healthy immune system, healthy skin, and coat. Vitamin C is essential for a strong immune system. Vitamin E offers a defence against oxidative damage.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil can increase energy levels, improve digestion and reduce allergic reactions. It can also promote a healthy coat and skin. The fatty acids in coconut oil are also believed to slow down cognitive dysfunction in dogs.
- Cod Liver Oil – Cod liver oil reduces dry skin and coat and helps to relieve itchy and flaky skin. It is also known to reduce arthritic symptoms in dogs.
- Flaxseed Oil – Flaxseed oil is full of nutrients including fatty acids which help to keep a dog’s coat and skin healthy. These fatty acids also assist cellular health. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory and has been proven to help dogs with arthritis as it aids mobility. Other benefits of flaxseed oil include regulating blood pressure, kidney function, and metabolism.
We are all much more health conscious and aware of our own diets now and convenience foods aren’t chosen as much as they were, so when you think fresh is best for yourself and your family why not consider it for your dog. It really is that easy, the ProDog freshly prepared and packaged Raw Dog Food makes it convenient and reasonably priced too. The quality of your dog’s diet can directly impact their general health and wellbeing, as well as reduce the risk of developing certain conditions and diseases. If you are concerned about the quality of your dog’s diet, or their health then read the benefits of raw feeding and consider making the switch.
We have summarised some of the benefits of a Raw Diet for your dog below:
- Improved Nutrition: As raw food diets for dogs are not cooked, the original nutritional integrity of the raw ingredients is preserved. This negates the need for synthetic vitamin and mineral supplements which are often added to commercial foods to make up for the loss of nutritional integrity that occurs with cooking.
- Healthy/Regular Digestion: Cats and dogs have a fairly short digestive system which limits their ability to digest fibrous plant foods. A raw food diet for dogs is largely meat-based so it is easy for your dog to digest. Less energy is wasted digesting plant materials, therefore your dog’s digestive system will work more effectively and regularly making for fewer and firmer stools.
- Cleaner Teeth: Approximately ¾ of dogs and cats will suffer some degree of dental disease by the time they reach 3. Kibbled foods provide some but limited dental benefits by helping to scrape plaque off the surface of your dog’s teeth, however, the process of chewing raw meats and raw bones is much more beneficial for this purpose. The chewing process also massages your dog’s gums, increasing circulation, reducing the risk of gum disease.
- Shinier Coat: A diet that consists of fresh, natural foods will provide your dog with the nutrients they need to maintain healthy skin and a shiny coat. Essential fatty acids are the key to optimal skin and coat health and these ingredients are abundant in a raw food diet.
- Relief from Food Allergies/Sensitivities: The more dogs are exposed to potential allergens like corn, wheat, and soy ingredients, the more likely they are to develop a reaction. Raw food diets are typically grain-free and gluten-free which significantly reduces the risk for allergic reactions. The high nutritional value of a raw food diet for dogs may also help to resolve issues with environmental allergies.
About ProDog Raw
We are proud to offer only raw food – nothing added, nothing processed and nothing unnatural – as clean and close to nature as feeding gets. We offer superior quality, innovative raw food which is cutting edge canine nutrition. Our raw dog food is expertly formulated and has proven results for many canine health conditions as well as many other benefits a raw feeding diet for your dog can bring. Our raw food will improve your dog’s physique, health and overall fitness.
Our Hints for Feeding ProDog Raw
To defrost Prodog Raw leave it in a cool place overnight. If you forget to take the product out in advance then you can defrost it in the microwave instead however it is important that you don’t allow the product to cook. If, at feeding time, the food is still partially frozen then simply add some warm water and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
Puppies should be fed to appetite from 4-6 weeks until around 3-4 months of age when you should be feeding 5-6% of their body weight spread over four meals per day. From 6 months of age reduce this to 2 meals a day. As your dog matures, begin reducing the total daily amount to 2-3%, monitoring their weight carefully, so that you can adjust portions as necessary. Remember, every dog has a different metabolism and nutritional requirements, so feeding should be matched to his individual needs.
ProDog Raw Dog Food Cost Comparison
When it comes to feeding your dog a raw diet it can actually be very cost-effective when compared to dry food. We took a look at some of the leading providers of dry dog kibble and what they charge. All the calculations are based on a 20kg adult dog being fed according to the brands own recommended feeding guides. The average cost per day was £1.35 compared to ProDog Raw Food £1.14.
Flavour …………….. Average Price
Cost Per Day……….£1.14
The prices are based on feeding your dog the recommended daily feeding amounts, 7 days per week. Using only the finest raw ingredients, with absolutely nothing added, nothing processed and nothing unnatural – this is as clean and close to nature as it gets for your dog.
At ProDog Raw we are proud to offer our RAW dog food – Absolutely nothing added, nothing processed and nothing unnatural – As clean and close to nature as feeding gets. All of our ingredients come from the UK, from only human grade sources, and our food is all handmade. We source the very best food for our dogs and refuse to include industry-standard fillers that are found in other brands. Order today and begin your ProDog experience!
DEFRA and Vet Approved. Next Day Delivery available.
Take a look at our website, contact us here if you have any questions and make your first order.
There are no comments for this post.